The world is abuzz with anticipation this morning. They are anxiously awaiting Tiger Woods to read a prepared statement and head back to rehab. We are full of questions--Will the wife show up? Is Tiger golfing next week? Will he apologize?

Am I the only one who won't be glued to the screen? Am I the only one who doesn't care in the least about his statement? Let's put this thing into perspective--Tiger didn't cheat on US. Tiger didn't cheat WITH us. Therefore, Tiger doesn't owe US anything.

We seem to have a weird sense of entitlement when it comes to celebrities. We think that we should be privy to every detail of their lives. Why? Why? Tiger is an athlete. We watch him on television. We may choose to see him golf in person. But, after the clubs are put away, what more does he owe us? What does his offense have to do with golf? What part of it affected his fans? Why is he not entitled to a personal life? Is anyone available to take me to lunch at 11am est today?

Your comments--priceless!!


By the way, don't forget to vote for me in the Sun Sentinel's Best of Blogs awards. I'm currently in second place in the Personal category. Here's the link. You can vote once per day until March 1st.
3 Responses
  1. I can't take you to lunch, but I do agree with you. Why is what any athlete does and with whom he/she does it any business of anyone except his/her spouse?


  2. Gina Says:

    Good post – I agree with you. I was forced to listen to part of the (non)apology while I was driving and tuning into my local traffic and weather station – why WTOP decided this was “breaking news” is beyond me. When I'm driving and I turn on the radio for traffic and weather, "breaking news" would be an accident or a storm, not Tiger Woods. Does the media/Tiger really think the public is crying out for an apology? Give me a break - I don't even know the guy. Further, the idea that Tiger arranged this “apology” in front of the select media of his choice with the proviso that he would be asked no questions is really just ridiculous.

    However, I will say that the best thing that came out of his mouth was the admission that he thought he did not have to play by the same rules as everyone else and that fame and money led him to this sad conclusion. It reminded me of Michael Vick, who said on The Michael Vick Project that he really didn’t think the case against him was serious until he was indicted. Prior to that he thought his money (and the best lawyer his money could hire) would get him out of it. Tiger actually said he didn’t think he would get caught. I guess Vick thought the same thing. It’s the “deceitfulness of riches” (See Mark 4:19, the Bible).


  3. @Dayngr Says:

    I'm with you. I don't see the fascination.


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails