Guess who's back!  After months of silence, a story on Good Morning America prompted me into returning.  It was about women who have cancer.  Some are opting out of chemotherapy treatments, because they don't want to lose their hair.  The story went on to talk about some new technology that decreases the chances of hair loss.  But honestly, they lost me way before that. 

Let's examine this--I get a cancer diagnosis and the doctor recommends chemotherapy as part of the treatment process.  My first thought is my hair?  And then I flat out refuse chemo?  Seriously?  Are we that vain as a society?  Can I get a rousing rendition of India Arie's "I Am NOT My Hair?



Ok, tell me the truth.  Would you refuse chemo because you might lose your hair? 



7 Responses
  1. Alicia Says:

    Chemo vs hair. I will go with chemo. There are too many lace fronts banging wigs and everything else for me to risk not having a chance because I may loose my hair. I would go bald with my big old head. Are we really that vain? WOW!


  2. Heck no. I love my hair and all, but I love living even more. What kind of vanity is that about??


  3. I unfortunately know at least four women that underwent chemo this year and lost their hair. I know that for two of them, losing their hair was kind of like losing a signature part of themselves. So while it particularly hurt these two, they still went chemo and wig. One of them wore a wig for a year and a half. But none refused chemo.

    As a man, I'd go chemo and shave my head. I really don't care. I have a son, so whatever it takes.

    ~Mike


  4. Renee Says:

    As the fabulous black woman I am, I currently have my hair AND I rock some awesome wigs. Having chemo to treat cancer is a no brainer for me. If I lost my hair then I have a beautiful bald head AND I'd continue to rock some awesome wigs.


  5. Anonymous Says:

    I definitely will have to go with the chemo and thank the Lord it is available.


  6. Anonymous Says:

    Welcome back!


  7. nursetuck Says:

    When people hear the word "Cancer" all rationale thought is displaced. I’ve heard of all kinds of excuses for refusing chemo but this hair loss thing is new. We place so much value on hair as part of identity


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails