A few weeks ago, I got an email from FOJ Alice, asking if I was available to go to lunch with her and some of her friends. I agreed, but when I asked about her friends, she was very vague. "Oh, just a group of girls." I found it odd, since she's usually very straight forward but in the midst of everything that I have going on, I didn't have a lot of time to give it thought.

Well, last Friday was the date of the luncheon. And last Thursday, it rained cats and dogs. A lot of areas had severe flooding. It was still raining when I got up. I so did NOT want to go to a luncheon. I called Alice, hoping that it was cancelled. "Nope, I called the Country Club and they aren't flooded, so we'll be there!" she said. Woe is me.

I got dressed and swam down to Miami. I knew where the Club was, but I had never been inside. The place has a huge foyer with stairs on both sides. I didn't see any place for eating, and there was no directional signage. Everyone else that came in seemed to know where they were going. I pulled out my Crackberry to call Alice. Bad idea. Just as the phone started ringing, a woman rushed out of nowhere, looking very disturbed. "We don't allow cell phone usage," she whispered loudly. I tried to explain that I was meeting someone and didn't know where I was supposed to go. I don't think she cared. She shooed me up the stairs. FINE--I'll find it myself.

Upstairs there was a bar area, but nobody dining, only employees. My phone started to ring. It was Alice, but just as I was about to answer, the bartender reminded me of the NO CELL policy. But she also didn't know Alice or where I was supposed to meet her. She told me to look around. I could see the entire room from where I stood and unless Alice was invisible, she wasn't there. I saw the Ladies Room and decided to go in there and call Alice. Bad idea. No cell phone service in the bathroom. Hmmph. FINE--if you want the riff raff to wander around unattended, then I will!!

I'll continue this story tomorrow, but in the meantime, have you ever encountered this? I know some places where there are NO CELL signs, but never have I been any place where it was so strictly enforced. Have you? Is this odd?

Your comments--priceless!!



5 Responses
  1. yes! My dentist office will literally take your phone out of your hands if it goes off while you are there.


  2. Inky Says:

    Did you find Alice? inky


  3. I must admit that I have never been in a place where the cell phone policy was strictly enforced.....other than church and even there the Pastor's iphone has gone off a time or two!


  4. MOMSWEB Says:

    I kept reading and waiting for the punchline. Is this for real? I've never experienced this before and can't wait to hear the rest of the story.

    By the way...Merry Christmas and have a Happy New Year.


  5. Bren Says:

    I'm with Inky. Did you find Alice!!! LOL! I've been to some places where phone usage is not allowed and I can respect it--depends on the venue. However, some places are outright stupid with and irrational with it! Imagine what it was like 15 years ago when we didn't have cells like we do now!!? :) Oh wait, you could have text her, though, right! :) I'm just sayin' .

    Happy New Year, girlie.


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails