This morning, while having a completely random conversation, I thought of Horehound candy and immediately, it reminded me of my great grandmother. She passed away when I was about 12, but I spent a lot of time with her when I was a child.

I could always count on her to have 2 things--candy and books. There was always a stash of candy. Either the icky Horehound, or a Whitman's Sampler, or a can of Katydids. We would always sit and read. I didn't find it odd then, but she loved children's books. We would read oldies like Charlotte's Web and Nancy Drew. I even introduced her to some of my then-favorites like Harriet the Spy and Little House in the Big Woods.

She even taught me a rhyme using the word PREFACE, that was in all of my books. Here it is--

Peter Rabbit Eats Fish, Alligators Catch Eels, Eels Catch Alligators, Fish Eat Raw Potatoes

How strange is it that I remember that 40 years later? Isn't it amazing the things that our minds choose to remember, and those things that we simply forget?

Your comments--priceless!



Labels: , edit post
4 Responses
  1. catladysd Says:

    Nice memory! My one grandma always had hard candy around and willingly shared it with us.

    One of my favorite memories is going shopping with my other grandma to I Magnins in Burlington Ca. I was about 8 or 9 probably and what impressed me the most was how good all the women in there smelled. I just knew when i grew up i was going to buy perfume that smelled like that!

    Now you have me on memory lane am going to go look through pictures of my 4 grandparents and do some heartfelt journeying into the past!


  2. Unknown Says:

    Isn't it amazing how things will pop into your head out of nowhere like that? What a special treat to remember your grandmother and the special times you shared together.


  3. Itiel Says:

    A beautiful memory. Thank you for sharing. Yes, I too find it amazing how memories of old can just return like it was yesterday. Btw, I love Horehound candy. I give it to my daughters when they have a cough. Works wonders!


  4. There's a guy at my workplace who tries to pass out that candy almost EVERY SINGLE DAY. It's AWFUL! At least in my opinion.


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails