One of the things that I miss most about my hometown of Washington, DC is the overabundance of greasy spoon restaurants. I believe that you get the best in local eats from these kinds of places. Now, don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with fine dining, but why go to unfamiliar territory without experiencing it the way the locals do.

When my friends travel to my hometown, I tell them to hit Ben's Chili Bowl for a chili half smoke, as well as Horace & Dicky's for a fish sandwich unlike any you've ever had before, and Booeymonger for a Patty Hearst sandwich. And when I go to visit, these are the kinds of experiences that I want to have as well.

What about you? Do you stay on the tourist beat, or do you get down and dirty with the residents? Tell me about your favorite "Greasy Spoon."

Your comments--priceless!!



I post daily. So that you don't miss any of my randomness, you might want to subscribe by email.
Labels: , , edit post
4 Responses
  1. Amarque41 Says:

    Here in Charlotte, we have a restaurant called Sunrise that has the best darn breakfast special for $3.99. The decor has probably not been upgraded in 30 years, but there is a line wrapped around the place on Saturday. During the weekday, you will often find three generations eating.

    Alas.........my wife refuses to eat there and insists on going to Cracker Barrel.


  2. Sinfully Says:

    You mentioned all the good DC spots...but here are some Baltimore "joints"
    1. Lexington Market: Parks Chicken, Murray Mervis (best corned beef sammich) and Andy's steak subs
    2. Lake Trout on Reisterstown Road (I think it's still there)


  3. catladysd Says:

    The Taco Shop on S43rd in National City.. in san diego county. Absolutely nothing fancy here, open 24 hours a day, you will see a mix including chargers, locals and folks who are lucky enough to have been told about it. I used to work across the street from it! By far the best Mexican food ever in too enormous servings and inexpensive prices! One of my favorites there is the Carne Asada fries, which is fries covered in carne asada meat, cheese, guacamole, sour cream......oh my goodness to die for!


  4. If I hear of a really good local place I'll check it out. I'll have to remember those 3 for the next time I'm in DC


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails