Ok, I just couldn't let this one slide. Today, July 27th, has been celebrated since the middle ages as "Natl Sleepy Head Day." On this day, the last person sleeping, in a household, is awaken by either being thrown in a lake or the sea, or having water thrown on him.

In one Finnish town, a local celebrity (usually a politician, writer, or businessman) is chosen to be thrown into the sea, as part of the celebration. No one know who it is until the ceremony. Crowds gather to watch.

Since I'm ALWAYS the FIRST person awake in my home, this is one that I would definitely LIKE to celebrate. Since my husband is usually the LAST person awake in my home, this is one that I will definitely NOT celebrate. Somehow, I don't think he would understand, especially since neither of us is Finnish. But, this is definitely someplace that I want to travel to, right around July 27th. I'm putting it on my bucket list now.

If this was celebrated in the United States, who would be likely to get wet, in your home? You? Spouse? Child? Pet?

Your comments--priceless!!
5 Responses
  1. My girlfriend because today's her birthday.


  2. Unknown Says:

    My hubby is usually the last one awake in our house, but I'd be crazy to throw some water on my boo. I'm not crazy...goofy, but not crazy.


  3. lifeisfantaztic embrace it Says:

    Well I'm not Finnish, but I have had water and or ice tossed on me to wake me up, and vice versa, it can be cool, crazy and sexy....

    Just remember the attitude of the person you're working with, some can take it and some can't.


  4. catladysd Says:

    I have almost always been the first one up, sometimes before the birds. Just the two of us and after years of being on the road performing he is still a late sleeper. But um, i like living don't think as easy going as he is he would appreciate water on him.


  5. Haha!

    I would love to splash some water on someone.
    :0)


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails