What exactly does that mean-"Only the good die young"? It seems to imply that everyone dying young is good. What about senior citizens? Are there no good among them? I don't subscribe to this way of thinking. I believe that dying is a part of life and your time on Earth is predetermined. The good, the bad, even the ugly will go at the appointed time.

Besides, who gets to determine what is young? Does young mean "before adulthood"? Does young mean "younger than me"? While young might determine innocence, I don't think it determines goodness.

And speaking of goodness--how do you decide who is good and who isn't? Based on what--outside appearances? What YOU see of the person? Unless you spend a lot of time with someone, do you truly know them? ONLY God can "search and know."

It's best for me to try not to make sense of God's work. It's not for me to be all knowing. I realize that some things are beyond my understanding. In those instances, my prayer is for acceptance of God's will.

Your comments--priceless!!

Labels: , , edit post
3 Responses
  1. LUVA Says:

    Only the good die young-another saying penned by a human being. God never said it. What God said is "I knew you when you were in your mother's womb" (Jeremiah). So if God knows us, He knows what we're going to do, when we're going to do it, when we will be born, when we will die. Being good has nothing to do with it. When it's our time to be called home, we're called home. Great blog on the clarity of that old time saying.


  2. catladysd Says:

    I agree great blog, so often we hear or even utter ourselves some of these old sayings without even thinking about what they really mean or if they mean anything at all.

    I think sometimes folks use them because they just don't know what else to say, maybe it is an uncomfortable situation. And goodness if only the good die young i must be evil as all get out!


  3. Anonymous Says:

    Hi Jewel, I love your blog! You always have great post that make you think! I've tagged you for a Honest Scrap tag, if you'd like to do the tag, just check out my blog!!


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails