This is one of my favorite charities. I found out about it a few years ago when the youth from the High School Ministry at my Church stood outside the sanctuary on Super Bowl Sunday, holding soup pots, collecting money. They were collecting money to fight hunger and poverty in my local area.

When I got home, I read more about this organization and I must say, I was very impressed. It is Christian based and uses all of the Super Bowl hoopla to their advantage. Even more impressive, is the fact that 100% of donations go towards the fight, none is used for administrative costs. They are able to do this, partly because 10 NFL owners have made significant financial contributions. The teams whose owners are involved are--Arizona Cardinals, Miami Dolphins, Indianapolis Colts, New York Jets, Dallas Cowboys, New York Giants, Houston Texans, Carolina Panthers, Jacksonville Jaguars. They also have corporate and community partners.

Their vision is to become the largest youth-led weekend of giving and serving. Right now, the efforts are heavily concentrated on the East Coast, but there are significant gains in other parts of the country. The youth group decides what charity they want to contribute to before they even start.

This is truly something that I can get behind. If you see kids around this weekend, collecting in huge soup pots, dig deep for something to give them. I know times are hard, but how much harder would it be if you didn't have food? Also, if you are involved with a youth group, I would highly recommend considering it as a group activity for next year. Again, I was very impressed and I'm not easily impressed.

What do you think about this? Is it something you could see the teens in your life doing? Why? Why not?

Your comments--priceless!!


2 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    I love it! I'm very much behind 'Going therefore into all nations and feeding Jesus' sheep'. But we can not, we must not, forget to feed his sheep, his lambs here in our own nation. To get our youth involved in things that matter, things that speak to humanity, to being their brother's keeper--what a wonderful habit to breed. I'm going to tell my teen about it and suggest she tell her youth pastor. Our pastor, Miles McPhereson (Rock Church San Diego) is a former NFL player. I'm sure he'd support this!


  2. LUVA Says:

    Very nice charity. We should all be involved in helping others. Jesus is our Redeemer, but He was also a servant. We're here to serve and to be a blessing to others.


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails