1. Keep a Gratitude Journal. Write daily about what you are grateful for. Try not to write the same thing everyday, explore your gratefulness.

2. Remember the bad--the contrast may encourage gratefulness.

3. Ask yourself 3 questions. Choose a person that you know. Consider what you have received from them, what you've given them, and what trouble you may have caused them. This may lead to discovering that you owe others more than you thought.

4. Pray. A ritualized form of giving thanks may help increase gratitude.

5. Use your senses. 80% of people say that they are thankful for their health. If you are in that number, then use your five senses to see, hear, smell, taste, and touch the world.

6. Use visual aids. You may need a note to yourself to remind you to be thankful.

7. Swear an oath to be more grateful. Promise on whatever you hold holy that you'll be more grateful.

8. Think grateful thoughts.

9. Acting grateful is being grateful.

10. Be grateful to your enemies. It's a huge step to be thankful to those that you most despise. But this is just the kind of thing to set off a change in yourself.
--as adapted from PsyBlog

Your comments--priceless!
Labels: , edit post
6 Responses
  1. Sinfully Says:

    I did this several years ago after reading Iyanla Vanzant's book "In The Meantime". It was an very insightful exercise. Taught me not to sweat the small stuff and to truly enjoy the simple pleasures (gifts) life has to offer. I recommend it!!!


  2. Anonymous Says:

    I shall start by thanking you for this gentle reminder. :)


  3. Anonymous Says:

    Gratitude! There are five core values that I live and teach to my children and my granddaughter--Honesty, GRATITUDE, humility, responsibility, care and concern for myself and others. And of all of these, GRATITUDE and HUMILITY are my favorites. I have so much to be grateful for that I can't even list it all. Every moment of every day, I am grateful. I am grateful for God, for His Son, for His Word, for my life, my health, my family, for love, for imperfection, for work, friends, the ability to minister to others, for every opportunity to serve God, I am grateful for sun, wind, night, stars, it is too much to contain when I think of it! It is an attitude of gratitude that blesses me with a smile throughout most every moment of every day. Even the trials, I have grown up enough to be grateful for...and that took a long time. But they strengthen me and build my faith and character, and they pass. Gratitude, and Jewel, lady with a perfectly fitting name, you are on my gratitude list. You are indeed, a Jewel. Thank you for your blog today!


  4. Anonymous Says:

    Thanks jewel, gratitude is is an important component in being able to live a joyful life. I agree with Sin iyanla vanzant has some wonderful insights in her books.


  5. Unknown Says:

    Great article! Practicing gratitude has changed my life.


  6. Anonymous Says:

    Great reminder as I plan my wedding-


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails