Do you have Seasonal Affective Disorder(SAD), more commonly known as the "Winter Blues?" The American Psychiatric Association (APA) has recognized this as a subtype of major depression, and says it affects over 10 million Americans who live in northern climates. The symptoms include sadness and depression, often accompanied by excessive sleeping, overeating and weight gain. Women are more likely to have SAD than men. Although you might think it is related to the temperature, experts say it's more likely linked to reduced light caused by winter's shorter days. UV Light therapy has been touted as an effective treatment.

The most interesting thing about SAD is that it can also affect those living in warm climates, like me. For them, winter brings the holidays and anticipated happy times, while summer brings loss of appetite, insomnia, and weight loss.

While I'm definitely not qualified to argue with the APA, I'm not sure if I buy into this. I think that some folks are just depressed, period. Wouldn't matter if it were sunny, cloudy, humid or cold--they are just down. I think it may be more noticeable to others during extreme temperatures, I don't think climate is a factor. I've been known to be wrong though..

What do you think? Do you buy it? Have you suffered from this? Which one-summer or winter? How did you handle it? Share your experience--

Your comments--priceless!
3 Responses
  1. Randy Furco Says:

    What is SAD is the weather up here in the Northeast US.

    The cold..the snow..the ice..the short days that it always seems dark.

    It can bum ya out..lol.


  2. Anonymous Says:

    I am in the San Francisco area and it has been cold, dark and damp. I think I may have SAD. Now, mind you...a couple of days of darkness is ok, but over a month will drive me crazy! I think this is why Seattle has the highest suicide rate in the US. They have the most rainfall and darkest days.
    When it is sunny, I feel like there is nothing I cannot accomplish. I love to feel the rays of sunshine on my face while I whistle as I walk...well..not quite to that extent. But...I do love the sunny days much more than the dark ones.
    Benita


  3. LUVA Says:

    I have SAD, I can't stand the cold anymore!!


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails