Recently I saw the movie, Seven Pounds. It's one of those flicks that you either absolutely love or absolutely hate. Most reviewers hated it, though most regular people that I have talked to loved it. What is THAT about?

At one point in the movie, a man questions why another man is doing such a tremendous deed for him. The deed giver replies, "because you are a good man, even when nobody is watching." That line has stuck with me ever since. I keep asking myself, "Is that me? Am I good when nobody is watching?"

That started me thinking about other things, like--When I'm gone, what do I want people to remember about me? What will be my legacy? Granny used to say that she wanted folks to say, "She did what she could." That's pretty simple, but it sure is a mouthful. Am I doing what I can? Is it enough? Should I be doing more? If the answer is yes, why aren't I?

I've claimed this as my year of change. Unfortunately, change can never come without critical examination. It's January 14th, time for self examination. I'm looking at every aspect of my life. There will be changes made and sometimes the changes won't make sense to those who are watching. Just know that I'm working on some things.

Have you ever given thought to what your legacy is? What will you leave here when you've moved on? If you left today, would you be happy with what you've accomplished? Is there more work to do? Let's get busy, folks...

Your comments--priceless!



5 Responses
  1. Sinfully Says:

    When asked what you think your legacy will be if you left this earth today puts me in an uncomfortable mood. It forces me to think about death. I know it will occur one day...hopefully not THIS day. I haven't lived a perfect life, but I have always tried to live by this motto: Treat people, all people, like you would want to be treated or have your family treated. Someone asked me if I ever had a patient I didn't like/hated. I answered no immediately. When you dislike or even hate someone or something, you're not going to do EVERYTHING absolutely possible to secure a healthy outcome. So whereas I may disagree with choices that some of my patients have made in their lives, I like each and erry one of them. I pray that's what my legacy will be...She liked everyone.


  2. Jackie Says:

    I pray that my legacy will be - she was a true friend, she help other, she loved her son, her family and she loved all that she came all of those whom she came in contact with. J, your right. Change in needed - across the board.


  3. cmiles Says:

    My legacy, I hope to leave nothing heroic, I'm a simple person who tries to live a simple life, all I hope that my love ones remember me for was she was a good person. I wake up every morning saying a little prayer, Lord let me be the best I can today. I know nothing is promised, not even the next second. Some days are of course better than others, but then I wake up the next day and start all over again, hoping to do better this day.


  4. Anonymous Says:

    I wish you had been in the room this afternoon jewel, we were talking about things like this. I hope my legasy will be she was a true friend. i also hope that in my profession i made a difference for some and that they were able to pass that along to someone else. i also hope friends and family can tell stories about me and smile :)


  5. loryn.hope Says:

    Over the last 2 years, while I didn't realize it until now (since you're blogging about it), the only legacy I care about is the one that I leave for Jordan. Was I a good mother? Did I give her all that she needed emotionally, physically, etc.? Did I provide life lessons that truly helped her out? Did I lead by example? Did I show her while I told her that she is beautiful and special and above all else loved unconditionally? That's what I want my legacy to be. That's what I want her to remember. All else, at this point, is thrown to the wayside - this is what's truly important.


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails