Yesterday, when I left the hospital, I had but ONE thing on my mind--EATING. I had no idea what I wanted to eat, only that I wanted to devour a lot of it.

I got home and before I could even taste the first morsels that I've gotten to enjoy in the last few days, I was stunned by the news of the shooting at the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum. I was so taken aback that I put my fork down. What is the world coming to? When you have elderly folk committing such heinous acts of hate, there's a problem.

I used to work at the Holocaust Museum, years ago, in the Development department. Imagine that, an African American Christian raising funds for a museum whose permanent exhibit documented the Jewish holocaust. Believe it or not, I had a ball. The folks that I met while working there were some of the best people in the world. And we were such a diverse group. I learned so much there, and am still in touch with some of my co-workers, 15 years later.

I believe that I am truly colorblind. If I like you, it has nothing to do with your color. If I don't like you, it has nothing to do with your color. I have friends and family that represent every hue in the rainbow. I treasure ALL of my friends and each one enhances my life. Not everyone is so lucky. A lot of people limit themselves to getting to know only 1 segment of society. I don't think they realize what they are missing out on. It saddens me.

I've decided to introduce a new feature, FOJ FRIDAYS. It will start tomorrow. There are so many FOJ's that I would like to introduce you to. Each has touched my world in some way and have interesting stories to tell. Each will include contact information. If someone's story touches you, let them know. Reach out to them. Expand your circle.

And tell me what your thoughts are on diversity. Do you have limited exposure to those of different races, creeds, and colors? Are there those that you particularly avoid? Why?

Your comments-priceless!!

4 Responses
  1. Silk! Says:

    My friends are the world's rainbow, always have been. Same with my parents; they both grew up in racially-mixed neighborhoods in the 50s. So it wasn't anything new to us kids.

    Then I went to college, and was surprised how much of the US was so isolated from other races, either by law/culture or choice. It opened my eyes.


  2. loryn.hope Says:

    I feel sorry for people who limit their circle...I wonder how many friendships, lessons, laughs, romances, blessings are missed out on because of closed-mindedness. I choose who I associate by what QUALITY we bring to each other - not what color/religion/sexual preference/belief/etc. we bring to each other. I think there are definitely great lessons to be learned by surrounding ones self with people from different walks of life. How enriched my life has been because I have friends AND family that are black, white, Hispanic, Asian, Jewish, Muslim, Christian, Atheists, Buddhists, Democrats, and Republicans (well maybe not so many republicans LOL)...but you get what I'm saying!


  3. NURSETUCK Says:

    JUST SHED A TEAR AS I READ ABOUT THE CONGRESSIONAL RESOLUTION FOR Stephen Johns.
    TRYING TO COMPREHEND HOLDING THAT MUCH HATRED FOR SO LONG IS OUT OF MY LEAGUE SO I’D RATHER FOCUS ON HONORING THE LIFE OF THIS BRAVE SOUL.
    I HAVE MINGLED WITH ALL KINDS OF PEOPLE AND ENJOYED THE EXPERIENCES, ,ESPECIALLY THE TASTY TREATS. I LOOSE PATIENCE WITH PEOPLE BECAUSE OF THEIR ATTITUDES NOT THEIR PHYSICAL MAKE-UP


  4. lifeisfantastic embrace it Says:

    I was raised and I still live in a mixed society of people from all walks of life and social status. My parents are from the South and marched for freedom and equality for all mankind. And while marching in the South the groups of people were of every walk of life and social status that believed in equality for all mankind no matter what race, creed or color. I would say that I am not colorblind but I don't pick my family or friends by the color of their skin - all people are children of GOD and I love and reach out to everyone and my circle of friends are a product of me reaching out to mankind. Growing up as a military brat of an officer, it was very interesting and there was lots of racism and hatred, however, as a young child I learned that most hatred and racism is spread by adults to children and unfortunately many miss out on things in life, because they put color before anything. However, I also can remember the times of disaster when folks that displayed hatred and rasicm came together as one to fight the common ground of disater that we all were in at that time.

    My prayers go out to all who were affected by this horrible incident at the musuem, may we all find peace in our maker.


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails