I believe that part of growing up is participating in self examination and knowing one's self. I also believe that growing up doesn't always coincide with society's calendar. I was 35 before I finally "grew up." But you have to be able to figure out who you are.

Recently, I've noticed that many folks in my life don't know who they are. How can you not know that you are narrowminded or short tempered or humorless? Do they really not know or are they simply denying it? Last week, I was called a bigot. Later, the person apologized, saying that after conversing with me further, they realized that they were wrong. I had to admit that I had not been offended with the accusation, due to knowing what my character flaws are and bigotry is not on the list. Had they said spoiled, or sarcastic, or even haughty, I couldn't have argued--those can be correct assumptions for me in certain situations.

Do you know who you are? Do others constantly accuse you of having a personality challenge that you don't think you have? Have you checked the mirror lately? What are your thoughts?

Your comments--priceless!!


Labels: edit post
3 Responses
  1. catladysd Says:

    I participated in an exercise that I began using in groups i facilitated with women. You pair with another person and 20 times to say to that person Who are you? and they must respond. Sounds easy but once you get beyond women, mother, the obvious things, it makes you think. Sometimes when my behavior is not typical for me i will ask myself, Who are you? and take some time to think about it!


  2. lifeisfantastic embrace it Says:

    I know who I am as a person, however, I have noticed that people who do not know who they are as people are challenged by people that do know who they are.

    I have learned in life to accept people for who they are at face value - after a certain period in people's life you are not going to change them.

    I also believe people come into your life for a reason, and they might not be there on a long-term basis, therefore accept them as they are. And make a choice if they are there for a reason or a season and precede accordingly.


  3. Unknown Says:

    thx 4 following me!
    xxx


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails