We ought to be ashamed of ourselves. Look what we've done! We've raised a generation of kids that are always bored, and don't really know how to have fun.

Like last week, when our power was out, my kids were at a total loss for what to do. When I was growing up, power or lack thereof, had absolutely NOTHING to do with my fun. I didn't need batteries. Heck, our televisions didn't even require remotes. My, how things have changed...

I'm certain that this factors into why so many youngsters are turning to drugs. They simply need to be stimulated. It must truly suck to be growing up in these times! In my own family, we used to have game night, where we played games as a family, complete with snacks. This was as recent as 3 or 4 years ago. Why did we stop?

When is the last time you saw a group of girls sitting on the concrete playing jacks? When did you last see, or even think of, a tetherball pole? How about the hula hoop? A deck of Old Maid cards? In the past umpteen years, have you run across folks playing Twister, or Mother May I? Or best yet, have you seen the looks on the faces of youth when you try to explain the hand/string games like "Cat's Cradle?"

What's happened to us? And more importantly, how do we fix it?

Your comments--priceless!!

1 Response
  1. catladysd Says:

    oh my gosh i am surprised that there isn't a dozen responses. from about 5-7 we lived on a street in chicago loaded with kids. every day, weather permitting, we played red rover, hide and seek, mother may i, statues, etc. it was so much fun and my uncle could do the 2 finger whistle so when he whistled all the kids knew it was time to go in. we moved to cali after that, and again played so much outside, and as i got older rode bikes everywhere, played jacks, collected rhinestones, read comic books at the local market, and as a family we spent a lot of time camping and swimming.

    i feel so sorry for today's children, i have taught my grandkids all the old games but yanno somethings just are not "cool" anymore.

    technology is wonderful, but nothing beats a game of red rover!


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails