Can you imagine scratching off a lottery ticket and finding that you have won a half million dollars? Can you imagine? Of course, you wouldn't believe it, so you would ask the lottery clerk to check it for you, wouldn't you? That's what happened to a poor 69 year old retiree from Wellington, Florida last Wednesday.

The clerk ran it through her machine and confirmed that he was a winner and gave him the address for the local Palm Beach office of the Florida State Lottery Board to cash the ticket. He put it in his pocket for safekeeping.

That's where it all started going wrong. He got lost on his way to the Lottery office. He stopped at a convenience store to get directions. He finally found the office. But when he got there, the ticket was no longer in his pocket. He can't find it. He backtracked, but it was fruitless. It is gone. Did I mention that he didn't sign it, so anyone that finds it can cash it, legally?

Wow, is that not the saddest story ever? He thought his prayers had been answered. You see, he's in danger of losing his home. His wife has been ill for years, and that has drained their savings. They live on Social Security.

You know--as broke as I am, I would like to think that if I found it, I would return the ticket to the old guy. He's hoping the same...

Your comments--priceless!!

4 Responses
  1. As much as I hate to say it, I doubt he'll ever see that ticket again.


  2. lifeisfantaztic embrace it Says:

    However, after having the clerk confirmed my winnings, I quickly signed my ticket and put it in a safe place. It was a Sunday, and I knew the lottery office was closed. When Monday finally arrived my husband and I drove to the lottery office with our ticket safety in my purse.

    I cannot imagine that all the joy of winning a scratch off for me - could be such a tragedy for someone else. My prayers go out that someone heard of this dilemma and returns the lost ticket. I could not even imagine someone cashing in a ticket that they knew was not theirs and had heard of this man's woes.


  3. lifeisfantaztic embrace it Says:

    Forgot my first paragraph when transferring.

    I can imagine and I have scratched off a lottery ticket for a half million dollars.

    However, after having the clerk confirmed my winnings, I quickly signed my ticket and put it in a safe place. It was a Sunday, and I knew the lottery office was closed. When Monday finally arrived my husband and I drove to the lottery office with our ticket safety in my purse.

    I cannot imagine that all the joy of winning a scratch off for me - could be such a tragedy for someone else. My prayers go out that someone heard of this dilemma and returns the lost ticket. I could not even imagine someone cashing in a ticket that they knew was not theirs and had heard of this man's woes.


  4. Unknown Says:

    What a sad story. I can't imagine how awful that poor man must feel. Funny thing is, if I found a lottery ticket on the floor, it would never cross my mind to pick it up and check the numbers. I would mistakenly assume that the ticket was a loser by virtue of it being discarded. I bet that poor man's ticket is in the trash somewhere. What a bummer!!!


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails