This Thursday, August 13, has been long celebrated as International Left-Handers' Day. It's purpose is to increase public awareness of the advantages and disadvantages of being left-handed.

The organization has been credited with things like introduction of left handed checkbooks by all major banks in the United Kingdom. Apparently, left handers have a hard time adapting to a right handed world.

One of the activities listed on their website is to have right handers try to use normal, right handed tools in their left hands. I think I will try this today. I never really give much thought to the left/right handed dilemma.

What about you? What hand do you use? Are you a lefty?

Your comments--priceless!!

Labels: , edit post
5 Responses
  1. I think 3 of the last 4 presidents have been leftys.

    I think the sinister (latin for left) folks have something going on.

    What's a left handed check book? Mine attaches and folds from the top so it should be friendly for both sides.


  2. My step mother is a lefty and she passed that trait onto my lil bro and sis.


  3. Ugmolicious Says:

    I am left-handed and I use the right side of my brain in a very effective manner......lol.
    Like, most left handers......I am incredibly glib amd talented.

    Seriously, though....it is impossible to imagine how few items exist that are manually designed for left handed persons, unless you are left handed, and have been frustrated by their absence both in the market place and in the public domain.
    As a matter of self defense, I have become ambidexterously inclined and adjusted to most right handed rituals. Something as simple (in the mind of a right-handed person) as writing on a notepad that is three-ring binded (these are usually bound on the left hand side of the pad, can be a challenge for a left-handed person.
    However, being left handed gave me many advantages from a sports point of view....especially, when I boxed (a left handed punch from a natural "southpaw" can be difficult to defend....as many of my "knotty-headed" opponents soon discovered.....lol).
    All in all......it's fun being a lefty.
    I love the challenge and experience.


  4. Blu Jewel Says:

    I'm ambidextrous and enjoy the flexibility that comes with that; however, I can see how left hand dominant people can have difficulties.

    love to live; live to love!


  5. nursetuck Says:

    my son is a lefty, I think my grand-daughter is too. We us to have so much fun shopping for left-handed items, for left-handed baseball gloves etc, he had sit on a certain end of the table when we went out to eat. I'll have to remind him its his favorite holiday, lol


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails