I've been watching the story about the woman up in New York, who was driving drunk with a car full of kids and ended up killing 8 people, including herself.

Let me first say--I am not a drinker. I don't drink beer, wine, champagne, mixed drinks, or anything else that contains alcohol. I simply don't like the taste of alcohol. But, here's my question--Is it possible to have an alcoholic in the house and one not know it?

I'm just not sure how that works. Even if they had presence of mind to try to hide the evidence before they started drinking, once they got drunk, wouldn't the jig be up? I mean--even if you didn't find bottles or empty cups/glasses, wouldn't you see that the person was drunk? or smelled like alcohol? or had a hangover? or was throwing up after a night of partying?

Again, I'm asking. I have no knowledge of how this is done. Please advise.

Your comments--priceless!!


5 Responses
  1. Sinfully Says:

    It's truly hard to believe that NO ONE is willing to admit this woman had a drinking problem. I'm sure someone in the family suspected all wasn't right, but that river "de-nile" can be a hard river to navigate. Too bad 8 people had to suffer the consequences. How does one live with that kinda guilt?


  2. dellgirl Says:

    This was a truly sad and tragic story. Denial is a deep and dangerous river, as sinfully said. I imagine someone is going to be consumed with guilt for keeping silent on this one -- once they face the truth.

    As for your question, I don't think it can be hidden. The drinker ALWAYS has some signs for anyone who is willing to see them.

    This is a great post and I hope it opens up the eyes of those whose eyes need to be opened.


  3. A functioning alcoholic can hide a lot from the world. However, if you live in the house with one, pay attention, you should be able to spot it.

    However, with kids and a hectic schedule, her husband may have not noticed or wanted to notice.


  4. catladysd Says:

    I agree a functioning alcoholic can fool folks for a long time. My mom was one so i lived it. Eventually, of course it was obvious to anyone close to her.

    Often family members/loved ones become so co-dependent. The view about alcohol is so different than that of illegal drugs. Unfortunately, alcohol often does far more harm not only to the drinker but collateral people in their lives.

    I worked with alcoholics and drug addicts for many years, and as much as i understand about the disease of addiction, i still do not like being around folks who are under the influence. i'll have a pepsi please!



Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails