We've reached the time of year when graduation ceremonies are scheduled. It's sort of bittersweet--at a time when graduates should be hopeful and motivated, the economy is in such dire straits that graduation is probably more stressful than finals.

Will new graduates be able to find employment in a time when seasoned professionals are being laid off? Rather than embarking on new adventures, will they be reduced to moving back in with their parents, while working in a field totally unrelated to their schooling? If there were student loans, the coupon book will soon arrive. How terrifying..

Now, more than ever, it's important for college students to select courses of study that will ensure gainful employment after graduation. How can we help them? What advise can we give? As a nation, what should we promise them?

Your comments--priceless!!
2 Responses
  1. catladysd Says:

    I think we do our children an injustice if we do not make them aware that we too started with little and it took years in most cases to accumulate the house, the car, move upward in our careers. It seems many young people think they should have it all right from the getgo.

    I'm remembering graduating high school, gettin a job in downtown l.a., sharing a one bedroom apt with my best friend and eating a lot of rubber cheese and mac & cheese and canned tuna.

    Times are hard right now. I think we need to tell them to not give up their dreams but to realize you may have to find one or more different paths to reach your goals.


  2. Sinfully Says:

    I recently ran into an ex co-worker and her daughter who will start her second year of college next year. After exchanging pleasantries, I asked the daughter if she had declared a college major. To my amazement she stated, "Philosophy." Before I could catch myself I asked, "what the heck are you going to do with a BA degee in Philosophy?" She replied, "Philosophy has always interest me" and proceeding on to the cashier to pay for her items. I turned my attention to her mother who for some strange reason had a pissed look on her face. Before I could apologize for being so blunt with her daughter, she lit into me. "We have always encouraged our children's dreams and if Becky (not her real name) wants to pursue Philosophy we will support her." Well, I guess she told me. I'll be on the look out for Becky at a WalMart near me in about 3 years


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails