The Dance Theatre of Harlem is celebrating it's 40th anniversary. I saw a piece on Good Morning America. It took me back to my childhood, when I dreamed of becoming a ballerina.

My parents enrolled me at the Davis Center in Washington, DC. I'm sure that the tuition was a pretty penny. I was about 10 or so. My mom bought me the required black leotard and pink tights. But once enrolled, I quickly realized that one didn't become a ballerina overnight--that it would take years for me to master. So I started a pattern that continues even now--I dropped out and found something else that I thought I was interested in.

Over the years, I've started quite a few things that I never finished. I'm gung ho when I start it. I jump into it wholeheartedly. But then I realize that it will require time, effort, and committment and back away. Now that I think about it, there are few things that I actually saw through to the end. Why is that?

Your comments--priceless!!
Labels: , , edit post
2 Responses
  1. blqlvrgrl Says:

    good question Jewels....I wanted to be so many things and do so many things in my lifetime. I dreamed of being an opera or blues singer..well..sometimes I sing with a blues band. Why did I never persue my dream? I thought of going into PR? I went into a profession that I thought was stable and comfortable. I have also wanted to write a book. I think I will now get started...tomorrow


  2. catladysd Says:

    Sometimes I think we just don't think we deserve the things we are doing for ourselves, so we sabotage ourselves and give up on things that give us pleasure.

    I too, have started things with such enthusiasm only to let it drift away with a million and one excuses as to why. When i look back somethings were not a good fit for me but others were and i enjoyed them. Thanks for this topic i am going to re-evaluate some things i like doing and that i am not doing!


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails