This Memorial Day, which my Granny always referred to as "Decoration Day," let's not forget the true meaning of the holiday. It's purpose is to honor American Servicemen and women who gave their lives in military conflict.

As an extension of that, the non-profit, Rolling Thunder, has designated the Sunday before Memorial Day, as the day that they "Ride for Freedom." At noon, they leave the Pentagon and ride motorcyles across Memorial Bridge to the Vietnam Veteran's Memorial, where they have a formal program, that includes readings, music, and speakers. This is done to pay homage to American veterans, especially those with MIA/POW status. This year marks the 22nd anniversary of the first "Ride for Freedom.

If you've never seen this, it is truly amazing. Tens of thousands of motorcycles moving in unison. They are driven by the old, young, Black, White, Asian, male, female, veterans, non veterans, etc. It is one of the most sobering sights that I've ever witnessed.

While we picnic today and tomorrow, and celebrate the coming of Summer, let's also remember those that gave their lives for our country. Even if you don't support the war, please support the troops.

Your comments--priceless!!
2 Responses
  1. catladysd Says:

    Yesterday i was going through some things as i have decided i need to pare down and let loose of some ofthe "things" in my life. i was going through a box of stuff including a button with an unhappy face on it that says "POWs never have a nice day". And also, the pow bracelet i wore for CDR Gerald Coffee who became a POW 2/3/66. He was one of the lucky ones who made it home and retired from the Navy in 1985. I am so against this war as i was against the vietnam conflict, but i support each and every man and woman who served and continue to serve. God bless them all and keep them safe so they can come home to the country they love enough to fight for!


  2. lifeisfantastic embrace it Says:

    Memorial Day is everyday for me, for my father came home a wounded vet and survived - but for many survival is not an option. To the troops I give my support from the bottom of my heart. I pray that God watches over each and everyone of them and to bring them home safely. And to the neice and cousin (both females) I have in Afghanistan - my prayers are with you.


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails