Yesterday, in the 11th hour, the favorite pulled out of the famed Kentucky Derby. This resulted in new favorites being thrust into the spotlight. But, wouldn't you know, the winner ended up being a longshot, one that, supposedly, didn't have a chance of winning. This was a "cheap" horse, being jockeyed by a man who raced to victory on a different horse, just the day before.

The beginning of the race was unremarkable, with the favorites leading. Just before the final turn, Calvin Borel, made his move atop Mine That Bird. He found a hole, slid in there, and rode the rail to victory. After the race, he displayed pure, raw emotion. One couldn't help but to be happy with him.

The lesson to be learned here is this--Nevermind the odds. It doesn't matter who thinks you are going to fail. They are not in control of your life. Do what you've trained to do. Don't focus on your competition. Run your own race and don't give up.

Your comments--priceless!!
4 Responses
  1. NURSETUCK Says:

    AMEN! I RARELY WATCH HORSE RACES BUT THAT WAS AWESOME. WAS IT DIVINE INTERVENTION THAT HAD ME TUNE INTO THAT CHANNEL JUST AS THEY WERE LINING UP? I THINK SO. CALVIN'S JOY WAS SO PALPABLE.. LIFE'S LESSONS REINFORCED/LEARNED IN THE MOST UNUSUAL PLACES..


  2. catladysd Says:

    Great advice! I can think back and remember times when what others thought or said had an effect on my life. I learned to let folks "control" me in that way at home, both my parents were very negative and never encouraged any of us kids to follow dreams. I didn't go to college till i was 30 because on senior ditch day my mom took me to downtown l.a. to job hunt.

    Somewhere along the path of life i learned to trust my own judgement and even though there were failures i always looked at them as positive failures because something was always learned and sometimes something good came out of the failures.


  3. JennyPooh22 Says:

    Awesome analogy!!!


  4. lifeisfantastic embrace it Says:

    These words are priceless:

    Nevermind the odds. It doesn't matter who thinks you are going to fail. They are not in control of your life. Do what you've trained to do. Don't focus on your competition. Run your own race and don't give up.

    I remember as a young child, my parents always expressed "You can be anything in this world you want to be. Pick a goal, stick with it and give it all you have."

    I have seen this work time and time again.... so if you think you're out of the race... get back up on your horse..... You can WIN if you keep trying.


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails