This is an old picture of my Mom (on the left) and my cousin, Vi. They were like sisters. I honor them today, on my first Mother's Day without Vi.

I have a great Mom. She has a good heart. She is caring to a fault. Folks often take advantage of her. I've come to realize that it's part of who she is. I love her with everything I am.

I was lucky enough to have a few other folks that treated me as their own, even though I wasn't. One of those folks was my cousin and my Mom's best friend, Vi. Throughout my life, we always lived close to her. We either lived next door, or upstairs or downstairs or down the block, or down the hall. I even remember a time when we lived with her. She had only one child, Kelvin. We grew up like brother and sister.

Vi was a special person. I can not remember a single time that she said a mean word, gave me a stern look, or even made me feel bad. EVER. Her home, her fridge, and even her purse were always open to me. I've eaten as many meals at her house, as I have my own. It was her that took me see James Brown and Patti Labelle and the BlueBells at the Howard Theatre when I was just a wee chick. She was one of the rare folks that I wouldn't hesitate to call or even visit at any time of the day or night.


Vi passed away quietly on the morning of March 14th. I last saw her on the day after Christmas. She wasn't doing well, but I talked to her often after that and, though she was sick, I hadn't ever considered her passing. My Mom called me that morning to deliver the news. I was devastated. I still am. There are time when I want to call her and share something and I simply can't. After Granny's death, hers was the one that affected me the most. I miss her immensely, but I am comforted knowing that I expressed it to her during a tearful conversation in February.

I honor her today, as well as my own Mother. Happy Mother's Day! Who do you honor today and why?

Your comments--priceless!!
0 Responses

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails