I'm afraid of heights, VERY afraid of heights. And just the thought of driving over a bridge, gives me the shakes. I can do it, I have done it, but I need complete silence in the car and I'm usually terrified, and holding my breath until I get to the other side. One would probably wonder why, since I'm so frightened, I wouldn't just avoid bridges and find an alternate route?

Well, a long time ago, I realized that bridges serve a purpose. They are generally built to be an less difficult course than the ground route. It may rise above a body of water, train tracks, or more traffic. Usually, it's a gradual ascent and a gentle slope back down to ground level.

Not only are there traffic bridges, there are bridges in life, easy ways to get you from one place to another. As in traffic, you aren't always forced to take a bridge--there are alternative routes that will get you to the same destination. But the bridge trail is usually the easiest way.

Bridges and other obstacles sometimes appear in our paths on purpose, not coincidence or accidental. Many times we are being tested, to see what course we will take. Some of us(pointing at myself), simply refuse to take the effortless path--rather than a gradual ascent, I seem to like steep risings. Here's my question--why don't I need complete silence during those high altitude, parachute-less drops that follow?

Your comments--priceless!!
8 Responses
  1. I'm afraid of heights as WELL! But I have no problem flying in an airplane. Go figure!


  2. cmiles Says:

    I know a few people who are afraid to drive across bridges, and will go out of their way to use alternative routes to get from point A to B. Unlike, you who will cross the bridge because its probably just practical. More than likely the reason why you don't need complete silence on the high altitude rides, cause you jump in feet first and the escalation goes quickly before you actually have time to consider you are actually scared. For me the longer I have to consider the risks, more than likely I'll take the round about way or totally take it out the picture. The less time I have to consider anything, my focus is then on just getting through the ride.


  3. Anonymous Says:

    You believe in yourself and your abilities. You just hate gravity. :)


  4. Anonymous Says:

    I LOVE bridges! Here in San Diego, we have the Coronado Bridge. Crossing the Coronado Bridge gives me a wonderful feeling, the view is beautiful. I appreciate God while crossing the Coronado Bridge, His creations are marvelous...the water below me, the sky above, and the way man's creations pale in comparison to God's...amazing.

    http://whynottri.wordpress.com/2008/05/05/a-new-favorite-cycling-route-and-the-importance-of-base-training/


  5. Anonymous Says:

    I love the view from bridges, but sometimes get that queasy feeling. However, as i read this and the comments it put me in mind of paths not taken. I guess it's kind of the same thing. I've tried to view my decisions in life including the paths not taken as learning experiences, some not so pleasant. The trick is to keep on having faith in ones choices, right or wrong and knowing that either way things will work out in the end!


  6. loryn.hope Says:

    I think it's because the bridge is physical...you see it, clear as day, in front of you...but life's bridges are more figurative, and therefore we usually don't realize we're going over them until we get to the other side...


  7. Anonymous Says:

    In all probability,you don't need silence because you don't BELIEVE you're falling.


  8. LUVA Says:

    I love bridges but must admit they are scary at times and I become afraid when crossing some, especially the Sky Way Bridge. Thinking back over Simon and Garfunkel's "Bridge Over Troubled Waters" and reflecting off that song, I now look at bridges differently and I'm not so scared anymore. Like the troubles we face everyday, we have to cross over the bridge that God provides to lead us out of our own troubles, trials and tribulations. We all have to cross that bridge and we all have to drive across the bridge to reach our destination and goals.


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails