It's Saturday morning and the American economy is in dire straits. Money is scarce and if you are like me, your shopping addiction STILL needs to be fed. I've turned my attention to garage and yard sales.

If you've never gone this route, now is the time. There are several simple things to remember--
  • Pricing is not final and in fact, the later it gets, the more flexible the seller may become. But be mindful as well, don't drive up in a new Benz and expect to negotiate down to pennies.
  • Have small bills, change may not be available.
  • Bring your own cardboard boxes or bags.
  • Be careful if you are sensitive to cigarette smoke. If the seller is smoking like a chimney, there's a good chance that your items will smell smoky.
  • Leave your pets at home!!
  • Examine items carefully. There are no refunds.
  • Keep an open mind. Look at things for potential uses--like an old child's chair that can be converted into a porch planter.

I find that the best sales are the multi-family or neighborhood sales. Have fun!!

Your comments--priceless!

Labels: , edit post
4 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    Dang Jewel, if i had only known, i'd have been down there every saturday morning to go garage sale shopping with you.

    I have made some wonderful finds at garage sales. I collect old pitchers, and have found several as well as old sheet music, collectibles, and just ordinary stuff i never knew i needed till i saw it at the garage sale :)


  2. LUVA Says:

    I love garage sales and you're right when you say everything is negotiable. I have quite a few items in my house that I stumbled upon from garage sales. I have a small 2 piece antique prayer like table. It's hand painted, (no made in China, Japan, etc markings). The only marking it has on the bottom table top is an etching of a mammoth or large elephant. The table top is hand painted with oriental (I guess) warriors, horses and priests. It's in excellent condition. The legs are held together by some kind of spoke and it stands about 12 inches high. I've shown it to an Asian Liaison at work and she told me DON'T SELL IT! To get it appraised. I've looked on the Smithsonian Museum website and replicas of the piece that I have costs hundreds of dollars. The price I paid?......$5. I like to search for garage sales in the upper class neighborhoods around here in the Tampa Bay area. People are more apt to negotiate so they can get rid of their "junk" and make room for the new. Garage sales are priceless like your Jewel Box Blogs. It's one of a kind, encouraging, uplifting, funny, serious and helpful.


  3. Unknown Says:

    I can't wait for garage sale weather to start here in Michigan. I love garage sales. Until then I just visit the local thrift shops.


  4. I'm an ex-shopaholic related to a in CRISES shopaholic who drags me along on her sprees! I've minimized my house so I'm not trying to bring any FINDS in so i do all my garage sale looking online at craigslist and rlrasmus auctions. I look and look and leave it. :-)


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails