I'll admit it. I'm a news junkie. My favorite channel is CNN. I am literally waiting for the local news to come on at 5am each morning. I usually watch 2 hours of local news and 1 hour of national news before I leave for work. I read (or at least skim through) at least 3 newspapers every day. I have Google Alerts set up for certain topics that I want to follow. I like to know what's going on. But I run across folks all the time, that haven't a clue. I know I shouldn't be irritated, but I am.

I don't expect that everyone reads, watches, and listens to as much news as I do. But good grief! Once a week isn't asking a lot, is it? Or for that matter, nearly everyone has internet access. You don't even have to go to the library to research things. It's at your fingertips, right?

Then why aren't folks familiar with what's going on in their little corner of the world. I often hear, "I don't watch the news, it's depressing." And it is. But that's a cop out, especially when those same folks watch Lost,CSI, True Blood, etc. Aren't those depressing as well?

Come on, Folks!! Let's know a little bit about our own hoods. I'm not asking you to become an expert in US Foreign Policy, but at least know that 5 folks were murdered 2 houses down from you, day before yesterday. Is that too much to ask?

Your comments--priceless!

Labels: , edit post
3 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    Information comes at us so quickly these days and is so easily obtained i can't imagine ignoring it. I can't always absorb it all, and yes oftentimes it is depressing, but the thought of not being informed is like sticking your head in the sand.

    Besides i love those stimulating conversations debating current affairs!


  2. is it too much to ask? well, for some yes. They may have lived daily with murders, assaults and drugs surrounding them; they may be dealing with so many life issues that they don't need to hear about down the street because their house is getting ready to burn down. Life can take you many places - even to that hole in the sand.


  3. cmiles Says:

    I totally like being informed, locally and nation wide. I don't find all news depressing, mostly informative. Regardless of how many hours I've worked that day, I at least try to get half an hour of news in before and after work. Or I feel deprived.


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails