Tomorrow is Groundhog Day. Folklore maintains that, every year on February 2nd, Punxatawney Phil, beloved mascot of a small, rural town in central Pennsylvania, makes his prediction on when there will be a break in the cold weather. Supposedly, if he emerges from his burrow and the weather is cloudy (he sees his shadow), then winter will soon end. If the weather is sunny, and he doesn't see his shadow, there will be 6 more weeks until Spring.

I think it would be great to have my very own Phil pet that I could carry around with me, giving me predictions on the future. For instance, when speaking to a prospect for the first time at work, I could ask Phil, "Will this turn into a contract, or am I wasting my time?" And Phil could say, "She has NO intention of doing business with you" and I could scratch her off my list and move on.

Or before I started watching a movie, I could ask Phil if I were going to fall asleep in the middle or not. Or before eating a meal, I could find out if it were going to give me heartburn or gas. Or before going on an interview, I could ascertain if that particular job was in my future.

The uses would be endless. I could save a ton of money on my daughter's college application fees, because I would know which would accept her. My morning commute would be a breeze because I would know which route would be fastest. I'd NEVER have to watch an awards show again, I'd already know the winners. Do you see where I'm going with this?

What would you use your personal Phil pet for? How could it help you save time and money?

Your comments--priceless!
3 Responses
  1. Sinfully Says:

    I'd use my personal Phil for something silly like who's going to win American Idol. I'd be too afraid to want to know anything life changing concerning life or death. Because knowing something is going to happen AND not being able to change them is kinda scary. I'll let Almighty handle that pressure.


  2. Anonymous Says:

    I've longed for a 'stoopid people' alert. This could be the answer! Meet someone; ask Phil. I'd think this would have been right up at the top with you kiddo since stoopid people 'shake your nerves and rattle your brains'. Oh whew baby, great balls of Phil!


  3. Anonymous Says:

    I use Phil for the following questions:

    - Do I need to leave now, because I-66 heading into the city be total gridlock?
    - What lottery numbers should I play this week?
    - Will the Cubs EVER win a World Series?
    - Will I still be alive when they do?


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails