Today is the birthday of one of my favorite vocalists, Roberta Flack. She is 72 today. She's a remarkable woman and a phenomenal singer.
She has a strong voice, but a mellow style. She won Grammys for both "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face," as well as "Killing Me Softly."

"Killing Me Softly" has dark, haunting lyrics, that I was drawn to--even before I knew what the song was about. As an adult, they've drawn me in even further. It's listed on Rolling Stone's Greatest Songs of All Time list. I love this song...

Strumming my pain with his fingers
Singing my life with his words
Killing me softly with his song
Killing me softly with his song
Telling my whole life with his words
Killing me softly with his song

I heard he sang a good song
I heard he had a style
And so I came to see him
To listen for a while
And there he was this young boy
A stranger to my eyes

Strumming my pain with his fingers
Singing my life with his words
Killing me softly with his song
Killing me softly with his song
Telling my whole life with his words
Killing me softly with his song

I felt all flushed with fever
Embarassed by the crowd
I felt he found my letters
And read each one out loud
I prayed that he would finish
But he just kept right on

Strumming my pain with his fingers
Singing my life with his words
Killing me softly with his song
Killing me softly with his song
Telling my whole life with his words
Killing me softly with his song

He sang as if he knew me
In all my dark despair
And then he looked right through me
As if I wasn't there
And he just kept on singing
Singing clear and strong...

Your thoughts--priceless!!
5 Responses
  1. Music is so amazing and, in the hands of a pure talent like Roberta Flack, it touches your soul like that rare perfume in the alabaster box touches your senses. She use to perform at Mr. Henry's, in Washington, on Capitol Hill and in Adams Morgan. The Capitol Hill location was around the corner from my job. Imagine walking in FREE to hear a Roberta Flack performing for the cost of a drink.What a gift! Thanks for invoking the memory.


  2. LUVA Says:

    My favorite song too. Back when Roberta hit the music scene, my uncle Jon Harris Jr. was a fashion designer and designed her gowns for the concerts she performed in. She also used to live in the same high rise in Manhattan as well as Duke Ellington, Ella Fitzgerald and my uncle on West End Avenue right by the Lincoln Center.


  3. Anonymous Says:

    One of my favorites too jewel. I wish her a happy birthday and thank her for all the pleasure she has given me and others!


  4. Anonymous Says:

    Absolutely wonderful song. I've been humming all day :-)/ It put me in a wonderful mellow mood.
    Happy Birthday Roberta!


  5. Sinfully Says:

    When I was a teenager, I got a chance to see Roberta Flack in concert. I can remember being amazed at her ease and grace while playing her piano and singing. When she sang, you could feel every word. Happy Birthday Roberta Flack and thanks for sharing your gift.


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails