Back when I was in high school, my mom had a small vegetable garden in our backyard. At the time, I didn't appreciate the fresh produce, in fact-in my teenage mind, it didn't make sense to me that she would put forth all of that work for something she could just simply pick up at the grocery store. She tried to get me interested, but this was when I was young, thin, and cute, and didn't have time for such things. We had all kinds of salad fixings and I refused to eat salad. I called it "rabbit food." Boy, was I stupid or what?

Now, as I settle in to middle age, I truly understand the value of home grown fruits and vegetables. I wish I had the time, patience, and inclination to plant produce. I have grown to LOVE salads. I have a lunch of salad more often than not. And with the price of fresh veggies skyrocketing, I could save a grip.

Now, I need to figure out if anything will even grow here in the land of brutal sun or if I'll have to make some provisions. And the next time Mom comes down to visit, she really needs to show me how to get started. I think I will definitely be more attentive this time.

Your comments--priceless!!
Labels: , , edit post
2 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    Recently I've been noticing how much I enjoy chopping fresh vegetables & herbs and the tranquility the aromas bring. Like you, I sit and reminisce about mom & her garden, the laughs we had when things didn’t grow right. She still plants her veggies and makes sure I get some every year. My thoughts have been on starting a small garden in those large pots. I live in an apartment so outside gardening is not and option. I want to move this spring so if I don’t get to it this year, I plan to definitely organize by next summer.


  2. Anonymous Says:

    There is something so satisfying about biting into a ripe, sweet, warm tomato fresh off your own plant! It has finally warmed up here and i am anxious to start on my garden for this year. I have been doing a garden for probably the better part of 30 years. Even in my condo i put in some tomato plants in pots.

    I was afraid i would have trouble with the deer but they seem satisfied with the pear trees and leave the garden alone.

    One tip for you if you plant zucchini don't plant much cuz omg are they prolific! First time i planted it i could have fed most of the 3rd world countries with the harvest!


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails