Tomorrow is St Patrick's Day and one of the most recognizable icons for St Paddy's is the shamrock. It's a three leafed clover and is commonly associated with Ireland and it's people.

I remember, as a child, searching for hours for the elusive four leafed clover. While the four leaf is thought of as lucky, the shamrock is looked upon as a Christian symbol, designating the Holy Trinity. St Patrick used it to describe the Trinity, asking followers if it were 1 leaf or 3. When they answered that it was both one and three, it led right into his explanation of the Trinity.

Do you celebrate St Patrick's Day? If so, how? What does the day mean to you--is it just about wearing green and partying or does it hold some special significance?

Your comments--priceless!!
3 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    First, Jewel, I offer my deepest condolences in regard to your family's loss. I will be praying for peace and comfort for you and your family in this difficult time.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Secondly, WOW! I'm a winner! Thank you, Jewel, for the gift certificate to Zappos!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    I'm part Irish so St. Patrick's Day is the day I celebrate that part of my heritage. With the way I look up any and everything and have done since before I got turned on to the WWW back in the 90s, you'd think I'd have looked up the story of the clover. I didn't know that St. Patrick used the clover to explain the trinity. How clever is that? I love it! And now that I know, I'll remember.


  2. Unknown Says:

    I can remember searching for four leaf clovers when I was a little girl, too. I used to wear green on St. Patrick's Day, but now I don't really give it much thought one way or another. Would love a pot of gold though. LOL...


  3. Anonymous Says:

    My mother's dad was as Irish as they come. Curly black hair, blue eyes, a wonderful sense of humor and i was lucky to have him for a grandpa. I keep his memory alive and share stories about him with my grandchildren.

    I don't do anything special on st. patricks day except make the traditional cornbeef and cabbage. I make sure to call my sister though cuz her husband was irish, 1st generation american, and he passed a couple of years ago, so it is a difficult day for her.


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails